The Data Science Division (DSD) is part of the Center for Naval Analyses. The DSD provides data science expertise and support to the Department of the Navy and Department of Defense. The division has full time and part time analysts with advanced degrees in data science, operations research, statistics, economics, computer science, physics, mathematics, engineering, chemistry, and other technical disciplines.
The DSD develops models and analytics to support Navy problems across all Navy domains, including aviation, surface warfare, undersea warfare, cyber, logistics, readiness, force generation, sustainment, acquisition, and cost modeling. The division currently supports the Navy’s Performance-to-Plan forum, which provides senior Navy leadership forward?looking performance forecasts, which are foundational to articulating Navy progress toward readiness and capability goals.
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. With minimal or no guidance, meets CNA’s quality standards when working on well-structured pieces of a project. Demonstrates ability to develop sound analytic frameworks and associated analytic methodologies/ techniques for addressing both structured and unstructured problems. With direction and supervision, clearly defines, structures, and executes a piece of a complex study to meet quality standards. Demonstrates analytic creativity and curiosity.
2. Develops and maintains broad, general institutional knowledge of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues.
3. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Keeps others informed. Proactively identifies and seeks out others working on similar topics. Works to identify opportunities for collaborations within team, division, and operating unit.
4. Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by maintaining strong client relationships through high quality work, increasing the visibility of our work, and other related activities such as proposal preparation.
5. Interacts with sponsors/clients under the supervision of an experienced colleague, and with study POCs independently.
6. Makes significant contributions to research publications and analytic products for individual projects.
7. Demonstrates ability to communicate results of work in a clear and concise fashion. Effectively communicates one-on-one and in groups. Can document work efficiently and accurately. Can effectively present work to colleagues, sponsors, and small audiences that are familiar with content.
8. Works with minimal or no guidance on focused, well-structured pieces of projects. Works under closer supervision on more complex, less-structured tasks. Can serve as task lead for pieces of projects by managing own activities. May lead small projects under the supervision of an RTL/CMD.
9. Exhibits a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues and clients/sponsors. Provides clear guidance to colleagues on tasks. Takes responsibility for own actions and outcomes.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in operations research, systems engineering, industrial engineering, Data Science or in a field closely related to decision-making optimization, PhD preferred.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements Ph.D. & 0+ years or Master’s & 2+ years of experience in:
- Developing and parameterizing mathematical programs, such as linear, integer, quadratic and/or stochastic programs.
- Using optimization to inform analysis of tradeoffs and business cases to support resourcing decisions.
Experience in applying optimization techniques in the fields of supply chain management and/or portfolio management is highly desired.
3. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Secret Security Clearance.
4. Remote/Hybrid Work Eligibility: This position is eligible for telecommuting or hybrid work arrangements at the discretion of the Supervisor. Employees may be required to work at CNA headquarters or other work locations resulting in changes to the scheduled telecommuting or hybrid work arrangements
1. Cover Letter - Please include a cover letter as part of your application to be considered for this position. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job
2. Transcripts - Please include your transcripts as part of your application to be considered